With a nod to Jeter Harris for writing about his mom, here's 13 things about my mama:
1. mama was born in aberdeen, washington. this is a small town about 20 miles from the pacific ocean. it rains a lot there.
2. her birthday is on a day you will likely never forget: 9/11. (she'll be 44 this year.)
3. she's a social worker who supervises a big group of psychotherapists. she loves her job! as soon as her audit is done, mama is going to work on developing next year's internship program.
4. mama has 3 older sisters and an older brother. she is closer in age to daisymae maus's mom (mama's niece) than to her own sisters.
5. mama has played the piano since she was about 10 years old. she taught piano lessons while she was in graduate school.
6. she has celiac disease. she can't eat foods that have wheat, oats, barley or rye. when she was diagnosed last year, she gave away 13 bags of foods that were no longer safe for her to eat.
7. mama loves polar bears, and even has a small one tattooed on the inside of her left ankle. she says 'it hurt!'
8. mama's creative--although she's not necessarily talented. she used to run an art group as relapse prevention for women who were in recovery from drug and alcohol abuse.
9. she loves to drive fast. she doesn't usually do it, though, because she likes the insurance rates of no tickets. sometimes, though, she thinks 'tawanda!' ('face it girls, i'm older and have better insurance')
10. mama got a lot of our furniture from craigslist.
11. when mama has long distances to drive, she day dreams about winning big with the lottery. she likes to plan how she will spend the money--share it with family, endow a few programs, provide funding to local libraries, and create big funds for the care of animals who haven't yet found their forever homes.
12. she likes to nap, and would love to be able to take a nap every day!
13. she loves me as much as i love her!